Monday, May 20, 2013

What is the best type of Bass Guitar Strings to grip?

guitar strings
 on How to change your electric guitar strings
guitar strings image



bobpwn33


I've had the same guitar strings (don't know brand) for a year now, and they have been noticeably hard for me to get a clean, consistent sound. That might be because of my technique, but I still think I need to replace them. So what is the easiest type of bass strings to hold down without putting too much strain on my hands?


Answer
If your playing on a reg basis your bass strings will be limp lifeless things in 3-6 months. If your playing hours every day 3 months is probably your life cycle. You'll hear the difference after a bit. Bass strings last far longer than guitar strings. Those need to be changed as often as every week. When I'm gigging alot a week is a long time for a set of strings for me on guitar. When I'm playing bass in a band I get a couple months out of a set of strings usually.

You might have flat wounds on your bass right now. Those are meant for fretless basses which can't use the round wound string. Make sure you get round wounds as they'll give you a better "grip". That is unless you have a fretless bass. Roundwounds will damage the neck on a fretless bass so your stuck with flatwounds if that's what your playing.

The rest is likely technique, though if the strings are too loose they'll want to fall off the edge of the fretboard. I have that problem alot with Ernie Ball strings even in standard tuning. In drop tunings they are rubber on some basses but really nice on others. They work great on my Gibson but on my Spectre I can't use Ernie Ball strings. Elixer makes some really nice bass strings but I prefer the D'Adarrio myself for the longevity they give me and the good crisp sound. Elixer has a better sound but only slightly and Elixer strings don't have half the longevity that D'Addarios do in my opinion.

Technique wise, play more with the tips than the flat of your finger. It's easy to want to flat your hand but it slows you down and is harder on your hand long term. You get lazy with your fingering also if you flat your hand playing bass.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment