Monday, April 28, 2014

How to add veneer to a guitar?




Joshua


I have two solid blocks of wood for the body (which is what I'll begin tomorrow) and I don't know if I should apply the veneer at the very beginning. I still need to cut the body's shape out of the blocks and the route the holes for the pickups and wires, etc. so it seems like it would be a lot easier to just glue the veneer first. If I do, then I can treat the veneer and the wood blocks as one single entity and cut each hole a single time. If I don't, then I'll have to cut the holes out of the body and then replicate these holes on the veneer sheets. All the guitar making videos apply the veneer second, but it seems like this might be more efficient?


Answer
I've done a lot of work with veneers in the furniture industry, and in my opinion, it would be too easy to damage when doing the bulk of the work on the body. I would build the body, do the necessary work on it, including any large holes/cavities, then apply the veneer, trim it out around the body and any pockets already installed.... then at the very last, I'd do any tiny hole drilling, being very careful not to gouge the veneer.

Good Luck



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment