Thursday, April 3, 2014

What should I do for a kill switch on guitar?




futbolboy2


I want to install a kill switch on my guitar, but at the same time, I am nervous about messing with all the electronics, because I don't really know what I'm doing with it. Currently, I imitate a kill switch by turning the bass tone knob on the guitar to 0, and the treble tone knob to 10. In order to kill the tone, I toggle back and forth between the pickup selectors. It works pretty well, but it doesn't completely cut out the bass tone, so I want a more effective solution.

Thanks



Answer
I did this to my guitar a while ago. The nice thing is it's incredibly easy to do and you don't need to mess with what's already there - you're just tacking something on to the end.

You can get the parts from any electronics supplier, like Radio Shack. You'll need a switch. This can be a toggle switch, but I much prefer a pushbutton. If you get a pushbutton, get a momentary push-to-make switch. You'll also need some 24 guage wire.

Solder two bits of wire (maybe like 10cm each) onto two legs of the switch (middle leg and one of the outside legs if it's a toggle switch). Drill a hole in your scratchplate and mount the switch in it. Now solder one of the switch wires to your signal wire, and the other to ground. The signal wire is the one that connects to the tip of the output jack.

Now when the switch is closed, you ground the signal, causing the output to fall silent.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment