Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How can I build up my 7yr old daughter's confidence and self esteem?

guitar aerobics
 on Guitar Aerobics - Intermediate
guitar aerobics image



shortipie2


My daughter seems to be lacking self confidence. We raise her in a positive environment and praise her for her actions all the time. I tell her everyday that she is beautiful. She doesn't think that she can do anything correctly. She calls herself stupid and dumb, and says that she hates herself! As a mom this breaks my heart. I was raised in a verbally abusive house, so I know what it's like to feel down on yourself, but I never wanted my kids to feel the this way! I still have issues with my confidence, but have never vocalized any of this to her. Do you think something like this is hereditary? I am looking for ideas and things that I can do to help her with this. I seem to be out of ideas. Please help!


Answer
I like the idea of allowing her to take guitar lessons. My opinion of when dealing with children with low self esteem is that they may not be challenged enough. Because if I give my child enough positive reinforcement and someone else who doesn't know them very well tries to degrade them, it will have no effect on them if they hold themselves in high esteem. The only I see that a child learns to hold themselves in high esteem is when they overcome challenges and opsticles; most importantly those challenges which you have to try & try again. Try sharing more adventures together which can include physical adventures like in door rock climbing, learning to inline roller skate/ice skate, ski/snowboard, surf, canoeing/kayaking; teach her a high motor skill like juggling, yo-yo, balancing, twirling a batton; learn to bake/ or cook more than basic techniques in the kitchen together; take classes together (many parks/recreation centers have a wide range of classes available at no/low cost - classes ranging from wood shop, arts, metal working, dance, aerobics, martial arts, the list is endless). If someone among your friends, or family has a special interest such as any of these, your child could also benefit from spending time with them. Never stop learning, or trying new things, foods, etc. We at this time are learning latin dance. Remember live life, have fun!!



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment