Monday, July 15, 2013

How can I get my broken bridge pins out of my acoustic guitar so I can change my strings?

guitar bridge pins
 on 20pcs Black Acoustic Guitar Bridge Pins Block White Dot Inlay Music ...
guitar bridge pins image






My brother broke off the top part of two of the bridge pins on my acoustic guitar.I can't figure out how to get them out of there! Can someone tell me how to do this? My strings need replaced real bad. Its an acoustic by the way for those who didn't know. Let me now is there is some trick to getting them out.

Thanks guys.



Answer
IGNORE all previous answers! some of these suggestions are flat out wrong and may damage the guitar if you do it.
I have actually performed this repair several times (I worked in several music stores as the repair guy)
Here is what you do:
#1 loosen all the strings and remove all the ones that you can. Don't worry about string tension or any of that nonsense. Guitar necks are built to survive long periods of no tension.

#2 remove the remaining 2 strings from the headstock and cut them off with a pair of wire cutters close to the bridge.

#3 use a small pair of needle nose pliers and try to push just the remaining string down into the body of the guitar if possible. This will help to unseat the broken bridge pins. (This may not be possible depending on how hard the ball ends of the string are wedged between the end of the pin and the under side of the bridge.)

#4 carefully reach inside the soundhole and try to feel the end of the bridge pins coming through the top of the guitar. If you were able to push the remaining string into the guitar then see if you can gently push the pins up back through the guitar face and bridge.

#5 If the pins will not push up easily then take the small needle nose pliers and gently reach them into the sound hole and grab each pin. Gently push the pin up while lightly twisting it. The pins should come out with a minimal of effort.

DO NOT drill into the pin. DO NOT to attempt to push the pin through the body. DO NOT use a foreign object to try and pry or pull the broken pin out. Any of these things can damage the guitar.

If you cannot remove the pins with the instructions I have provided or do not feel capable of performing the task as I have laid out, then take the guitar to a local music store with a competent repair person and let them do it for you.

Be sure to buy a new set of bridge pins because the old ones may be ready to break too. The proper way to remove a bridge pin is to use a string winder. If you look at the "cup" of the string winder you will notice a small half circle notch. This notch perfectly fit underneath the head of the bridge pin. Place the notch under the head of the pin and gently pry the pin up and out of the bridge.
A string winder is an essential tool for a guitarist and it only cost a couple of bucks. Bridge pins usually cost about a $1 each.

good luck!



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment