Saturday, August 3, 2013

What kind of Guitar is used with a harmonizer?

guitar neck rest
 on Traveler Guitar Pro Series Electric Guitar (with Gig Bag)
guitar neck rest image



Sarrah


My boyfriend loves guitar and has been planning to buy a new one. I wanted to surprise him on valentines day with a new guitar but i know nothing about guitars. I remember him saying he wants to buy a guitar and a harmonizer. I am not sure if we can use all kinds of guitar with a harmonizer. What kind of guitar should i buy?


Answer
A harmonizer is an effects box that you run both a microphone and your guitar cable into; it picks up what chord your guitar is playing AND what note you're singing and doubles your voice at other pitches to give you - presto! - backing vocals. I played in a band with a guy who had one once, and it made me wonder why the rest of us were standing in front of microphones. It can be kind of confusing for an audience, wondering where all the other voices are coming from. The only one on the market I'm aware of right now is from Eventide for about $500, and you should be able to run any type of guitar into it.

I'd agree about not buying him a guitar, though - each player has their own "feel" for what they like in an instrument, subtle things like the contour of the neck, and it's really hard to pick one out for another person. I'd go with a gift card - or to make it less impersonal, tell him you're taking him on a shopping trip to the guitar store for up to $___ (whatever you can afford).

CORRECTION: What I was thinking of was the TC Helicon VoiceTone which is about $300, not $500. I'm not sure if you BF meant something like that or the Eventide I mentioned before, which is NOT for vocals but is a multi-effects box for octaves, pitch shifting, and related effects.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tc-helicon-voicetone-harmony-g-xt-vocal-harmony-and-effects-pedal-for-guitarists



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment