Tuesday, July 23, 2013

How are finger-picking patterns written as chords (on guitar) read?

guitar finger picks
 on PINK FINGER/THUMB PICKS SET IN CASE GUITAR PLECTRUMS | eBay
guitar finger picks image



Irish fell


I got this app on my phone off the google play store called "Chord Generator" or something like that. It shows chord progressions for guitar. There is "finger-picking" which is like small melodies. It shows them written as chords, but I don't know how to play them. For example, in finger-picking, It shows the chords Gm, Dsharp, (sorry, this stupid keyboard won't let me type certain symbols) F, Gm. Like I said, they're shown as chords, but they're played as finger-picking (I only said that loads of times, just to be sure that you understand) and I don't know what single-notes are played.


Answer
One fairly common method of finger picking chords is to pluck the strings of the chord only (and not open strings) all at the same time, with the thumb and the other three or four fingers each plucking a different string.
Or you quickly cascade down the the chord, one string after another until the chord is finished.

There are lots of different finger picking patterns. If you know the song, try to see how the guitar sounds and imitate the pattern.
Watch a video of it if it exists

EDIT: I'm sure the other veterans will correct me if I'm wrong
(I don't normally use tabs)
look at this tab:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/led_zeppelin/the_rain_song_tab.htm

I noticed on the first line there, It looks like I see the very first chord played with a slow cascade with an upward slow strum so that each note goes separately until the chord chord is played (with each number not in line but at an angle) , then the same chord is played whole twice.(all numbers line up vertically)

So you could also see this as a finger pick up 5 strings and then pluck the chord twice.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment