Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Is it easier to learn to play guitar on acoustic or electric?

guitar acoustic electric
 on electric guitar overview an electric guitar uses an amplifier to ...
guitar acoustic electric image



Hailee


Is it easier to learn to play guitar on acoustic or electric? Please give me an explanation on why which ever one is easier. Thanks.


Answer
A lot of people will tell you the electric guitar for thinner necks and things, but I disagree with that. Strongly. They're both pretty easy and hard in their own ways.

Electric guitar requires a lot of discipline in picking, whether it's hybrid, economy, alternate, sweep, etc. Playing riffs in certain songs, as well as guitar solos, can break your neck at first. Not to mention vibratos, tapping, hammer ons, pull offs, the tremo bar, slides, bends, etc.

Acoustic guitar can be easily approached by simply learning a few chords (G, C, A, D, Am, A7, F, Dm, D7, etc.) and simply learn certain strumming patterns. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of famous acoustic guitarists out there that do a lot of complicated stuff. But there aren't that many, just a few.

Why do you think Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, etc. are considered rock icons? It's really the guitar that made them. You can see some of the greatest artists the world has ever known that played guitar (Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, etc.) and they're not in the Hall of Fame because they were guitar players. Acoustic guitar backs up the vocals, for the most part. Electric guitarists will drop everyone's jaw with their unearthly guitar playing. Your hands have to be so disciplined that you can pick at a fast speed while keeping the rhythm and the flow, and sounding beautiful.

Also, when I first started learning how to play the guitar, I started on acoustic then got my first guitar that same year on Christmas. Learning how to play, I learned scales, chords, barre chords, and timing. You'll do the same with the electric guitar, but I believe they'd both in their respective ways take you in a different direction.

I should also mention that it depends on the guitar style you want to go with. If you want to be a rhythm guitarist, it's pretty easy to learn barre chords, power chords, etc. That's much easier than a lead guitarist. A lead guitarist is in charge of the guitar solos, riffs, etc. Those are much more complicated. By the way, when I mentioned rhythm and lead, I was talking about electric guitars only. Acoustic is almost always about rhythm anyway, which is easy. You won't see an acoustic guitarist unleashing their inner Hendrix anytime soon.

I wish you the best of luck, and I hope you're going to learn how to play. It's an amazing choice of instrument (I play myself). Best of luck to you and have fun!



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment