Thursday, August 15, 2013

Is a gig bad enough for the oasis guitar humidifier? How long will it take?

guitar humidifier
 on Guitar Display Cases - Guitar Display Cases by Ozark Valley Displays
guitar humidifier image



Keyk


I have an acoustic guitar. My gig bag is just a thin bag that does not have any foam or anything inside. My guitar has become dry since we moved to a very dry climate and I recently bought the yellow oasis guitar humidifier. I'm new at taking care of guitars so I want to know if the gig bag will be enough. My guitar is very dry at the moment and I'm worried that it might just end up breaking. So I also want to know how long it will take for the humidifier to get the guitar back to its humidity level.


Answer
If you have a guitar in a case or heavy bag, you can typically begin to see results from a case humidifier in a day or so. The top will begin to plump out and lose the washboardy appearance. Whether your bag will work OK depends on how easy it is for water vapor to escape. You'll just have to try it and see. You can buy inexpensive humidity meters (not too inexpensive though, the ones that actually work tend to run $20-30) to put inside a case. Or else just feel the top. If one humidifier isn't enough, you can buy or make a second one. Or you might consider one with a cover to block off the soundhole.

Humidity control is more of a concern for instruments made of solid woods than for those with laminated construction.

P.S. A $20 Calibre III or IV humidity meter (sold for use in cigar humidors) off Ebay works just as well as a $30 model marketed toward guitar players. And probably comes out of the same factory, at a guess. :)



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment