Friday, August 2, 2013

The first fret of my guitar is really tense, what should I do?

guitar nut
 on Thema: Was bedeutet Masse, seriell und parallel?
guitar nut image



funky_fran


The guitar is over a year old and I thinking it might be the guitar nut. I've never had to deal with these except for my Spanish-acoustics, but I've never had any problem with those.

The thing is I need to press way too hard on the strings on the first fret to play the notes. Should I send it to the repair shop or is it something I could check on my own?

The guitar in question is an acoustic steel string resonator.



Answer
My guess is you need to tighten the truss rod. Fret down the first or second fret with the index finger on you left hand. At the same time press the 22 or 24 fret down with your pinkey of your right hand. Press down the 12 fret with your right thumb, there should be about a millimeter of space between the fret and string. Usually you adjust the truss rod where the fret board and headstock meet( if your guitar is like this there will be a plastic cover against the nut on the head stock or there will just be a hole there). It sounds like there is too much bow in your neck, so you would want to tighten it.
The action might be to high as well.

You can search "truss rod adjustment" into youtube for a more info.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment