Sunday, August 18, 2013

What settings should I have on my guitar amp for bass?

guitar amp
 on ... on 2fdtfender Guitar Manuals Parts Bass Wiring Diagram Amps S Jpg
guitar amp image



Derek Tins


I know I should get a bass amp, but all I have is a Peavey guitar amp to work with. I was just wondering how I should EQ everything like the lows, mids, and highs. I also have a decent size effects pedalboard with fuzz, delay, tremelo, and phase. I kind of want a crushing bass sound and don't want it to sound scooped.


Answer
I don't know what your definition of "crushing bass sound" is, but if it involves a lot of low end you're not going to get it from a guitar amp. The speakers are likely too small (if they're anything less than a 10"), and the cabinet design is probably wrong (especially if it's an open back cabinet).

Since you didn't specify what brand and model of bass you have, and what model of amp it's not really possible to give you any specific settings.

If you don't want your instrument to sound "scooped", then leave the mids up.

The best thing you can probably do is to start with all of the tone controls at 12:00 (halfway up). Start out at a reasonable volume, and start adjusting the controls until you get something you like.

If the speaker(s) start to sound like they are rubbing or "farting", then you're trying to push too much bass through them. Back off, or you'll likely damage them.

Get your basic sound dialed in before you start adding any effects. The problem with most guitar effect pedals is that they chop the low end of the signal off. That works well for a guitar...not so much for a bass.

That all said, Lemmy of Motorhead pretty much plays through what started out to be a guitar amp. There's not a lot of low end in his sound, but I consider it pretty "crushing". Then again, he's playing through eight 15" and eight 12" speakers spread over 4 cabinets.


Good luck.

Greetings from Austin, TX
Ken



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment