Thursday, August 22, 2013

What can i use to restore the "shine" on the neck of my guitar?

guitar neck rest
 on Check out the newest news, views, lessons and more for Fender lovers ...
guitar neck rest image



Joshua Hoc


My guitar neck just looks old while the rest is nice n clean and shiny. It bugs me n I don't want to play a show with I bad looking guitar


Answer
How to restore the shine to a neck depends on what kind of neck and finerboard you have (and you didn't say).

I'm a fan of Dunlop 65 cleaning supplies for instruments. If you have a rosewood or ebony finger board, use their Fretboard Cleaner (which is an alchohol based cleaner that gets the finger funk off) followed by their Fretboard condition which restores oils back to the wood. You could also use lemon oil, or a product called Fiddle Brite (made for conditioning violin fingerboards...works great).

If you have a maple fingerboard and it's sealed, just use the cleaner. If the sealer is scratched up and dull, you would have to polish it with very high grit (1500 and up) abrasives or polishing cloths.

For cleaning frets, the best thing I found is called Gorgomyte. It's a cloth with metal polish in it. Use it first, then follow up with the Dunlop cleaning products.

Finally, don't get too hung up on this. You're not trying to sell it, just play it. In all my years of playing and going to shows, I never heard of anybody leaving a show because of an "ugly guitar".

Good luck.

Greetings from Austin, TX
Ken



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment