Thursday, August 15, 2013

How do I get better at phrasing in Blues?

guitar quick release
 on new Tweed Deluxe build.
guitar quick release image



slashayer


I play guitar.
I love blues , John Mayer , SRV , BB King ..
I have a lot of good licks and I think I am pretty good , but sometimes I have a problem with the phrasing and lets say you go from 1 to 5 (chord) , I cant make that "statement" and let you hear the difference when your changing. Any advice?



Answer
Man I didn't understand what that other guy said at all so maybe I'm not getting the thrust of your question but as far as I know phrasing is a function of how you play a melody line not the harmony or rhythm guitar part.

Assuming you want help with your melodic phrasing I normally tell folks to just SLOW DOWN. Stand on a note for a while or bend it this way and that till it's just crying to be resolved. Blues is very very much a slow tension/release type of a game. Sure there are tons of quick bluesmen with very complex licks but the best of the best are simple artists who make an audience beg for that next note.

Ever heard of "the BB box" it's what,..4 notes my friend. So slow down and wait for each new note to knock at the door before letting it in. Simplify.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment