Thursday, August 15, 2013

Is there any way to use the line-in/microphone jack to play a guitar through Ableton Live 8?

guitar usb preamp
 on FMR Really Nice Preamp Two Channel Mic Pre-Amp | DV247
guitar usb preamp image






I got Ableton about two weeks ago. I want to plug my guitar into my computer via the line-in/microphone jack to be played out of the program as a MIDI. If that's not possible, tell me what I need to do to make the sound coming out of my amp to go through the cord and play out of my speakers via Ableton.


Answer
You could do that, but the audio chip onboard a laptop will give you really bad latency (a delay between the sound going in and the sound coming out). This would make monitoring and overdubbing nearly impossible.

What you need is an audio interface like the Novation Nio or the Focusrite Saffire 6. They basically plug into your USB port as an external sound card. A really advanced sound card with really low latency, really high fidelity, nice preamps, and multiple channels in/out.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment