Sunday, July 7, 2013

Is it worth paying to remove a scratch on my guitar before selling it?

guitar yamaha electric acoustic
 on Yamaha Guitar - Electric & Acoustic Yamaha Guitars
guitar yamaha electric acoustic image



Alan


I have a Yamaha acoustic/electric guitar that I have never seriously used, and I'm considering selling it. The only problem is that on the body, there is a pretty bad scratch about an inch in length. I'm pretty sure it's fixable, but it would cost me to fix it. Should I sell it as is, or will removing the scratch make it worth the extra money I put into it?


Answer
Hiding a big scratch is time consuming, (expensive) and must be done by an expert....not the repair guys at Guitar Center. Even then, it's unlikely that it'll be totally invisible. So you're looking at an expensive cosmetic fix and it's highly unlikely that you'll increase the value of the guitar enough to offset the cost. Remember: used instruments typically sell for half the cost of a new one. Even if you bring the guitar back to mint condition, you're going to take a big loss when you sell it. It makes much more sense to knock a few bucks off the selling price and let the buyer fix the scratch if it bothers them.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment