Friday, July 19, 2013

what product can I use to clean my guitar without damaging the finish?

guitar oil
 on Abstract Guitarist oil painting
guitar oil image



djstickyle


I have a 1991 Gibson Acoustic guitar that was in cherry condition when I got it, but i did something stupid... I played it with just a tank top on (or no shirt at all) and my anti persperant (Arid XX) got smudged on the finish. I tried wiping it off with a dry rag, but it seems to me like it is on there permanantly, and it really bothers me... Is there any product that will clean the smudges, shine the wood, and not damage my finish? Thanks in advance for you non sarcastic help.


Answer
NEVER use vegetable oil or Murphys on your guitar! EVER!!

The reason that your antiperspirant stained the finish is because it is alcohol based and so is the nitrocellulose finish that the guitar has on it.

There are 2 things you can try, and both will be finish-neutral:

1) Get some silicone-free guitar polish... Gibson sells it under their name. Follow the directions. If that doesn't work...

2) Go to your favorite auto parts store and get a tube of Maguires Scratch X... it comes in a black tube. Follow the directions... it will take about 3 to 4 minutes of good elbow grease. If that doesn't work, it will require professional intervention.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment