Sunday, July 14, 2013

How long should a guitar strap be?

guitar foot rest
 on courtweek.com - Archives: 2011November 1, 2011The Law of Post ...
guitar foot rest image



Coolest Pe


I am having a custom leather guitar strap made for a friend of mine. How long and how much adjustability should it have? He is 6'2" tall. It is for a gibson humingbird if that makes a difference as far as where it is hooked into the guitar. I dont want to ask him cause then he will be suspicious! Ideas on a good width is apreciated as well!


Answer
I guess I'll try to give you an answer. I'm 6'2". My strap is 5' fully extended and 2'6" as short as it can get. I probably wear it around 4'6" most of the time but I'm primarily a bassist and prefer my guitar sitting low (like a bass). Maybe somewhere around 4' in the middle, adjustable a foot in either direction? If you want less adjustability, make the middle a little more than 4'. A really good option is to sneak by his guitar and measure how long he has his strap. Give him at least 6" of adjustability in either direction of what he's currently using.

Also I don't know if you've considered it, but have you thought about making a custom pickguard for him? Pickguards are cheap and you can paint them easily. They're that big strip of plastic on the body of the guitar. Maybe you could make the guy a really cool pickguard. Just remember a few things while you're working on it: (1) He's in a rock band and it needs to be cool, not cute. (2) It's vastly more important how it looks from 10ft and 50ft away than when you're holding it. (3) Consider exactly how it will look on a Gibson Firebird. When you're coming up with ideas make sure you can see the rest of the guitar. It's important that your design works with that specific guitar. (4) Keep it simple. Usually that's the best call.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment