Sunday, June 30, 2013

Can I put a pickup on my acoustic guitar?

guitar accessories acoustic
 on Guitar Player Highlights the Cort AS-M5 in Acoustic Shootout | Cort ...
guitar accessories acoustic image



Mango Bear


My guitar is an acoustic guitar. Yep, just a plain ol' acoustic. Is it possible that I can put an acoustic pickup on it? Or does my guitar have to be acoustic-electric to use the pickup? Sorry, I'm a beginner.
Thanks in advance.



Answer
TommyMc did a fine job already but I'll add my 2 cents.

The easiest way is to put a magnetic sound hole pickup in the sound hole but that will not retain the acoustic quality of your guitar. It will make it sound like an electric guitar.

The most common and cheapest way to install a pickup that retains the acoustic sound is to install a piezoelectric element under the saddle. Some wiring is done inside the body of the guitar to attach the battery pack and preamp, and the end hole is bored out just enough to accept the output jack (which is attached to the preamp). You can expect to pay around $140 for the pickup with electronics and another $100 for the installation at your local music store. Here's a sample pickup:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fishman-Matrix-Infinity-Acoustic-Guitar-Under-Saddle-Pickup?sku=309393

There are better - and more expensive - acoustic pickups available from companies like LR Baggs, PUTW, B-Band, McIntyre, Schertler, and others. However for most people the under-saddle piezo pickup is just fine.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment