Monday, June 24, 2013

Can playing dance video games actually make you a better dancer?

guitar video game
 on guitar cat description cat playing a guitar share
guitar video game image



Reiner_5


Can playing dance video games actually make you a better dancer?
I have always wondered. As a guitar player, I know that playing guitar hero doesn't improve guitar skills, obviously. But, can a dance game that detects your movement actually improve your dance skills, if played long enough?

We have Country Dance 2, and I look like a goofball when I play it (I already am a crappy dancer lol), but I thought it would be funny to play it for 30 days straight a certain amount of time each day, just to prove/disprove whether dance games increase dance skill.



Answer
Good question!
Well, I am a dancer who also happens to be a DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) fan. (It's the only video game I play with my nieces and do fairly well) From my perspective, no, I don't think playing a dance game is going to necessarily make you a better dancer. Much like being a guitarist, dance requires practice but also an ingrained aptitude: Some people are just better dancers than others.
What I can say is that those games-both dancing and Guitar Hero-do help build coordination which is very important in dance. However, there's a lot more required to be a good dancer than just coordination which is a much longer conversation for another day. :)

Best wishes and happy dancing!



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment