Tuesday, February 11, 2014

can i mount my guitar hanger on dry wall?




Kenny G


I have one of those hercules auto grab guitar hanger systems and i don't know if it's safe to just mount it in the drywall or if i have to find a stud to screw in? Is drywall strong enough? oh and it's going to be holding a les paul and I don't know how much it weighs.


Answer
The Hercules Auto Grab Swivel Guitar Hanger(s) I found seem to be rated to hold about 7kgs or just over 15 pounds. I would think that drywall would support this amount of weight safely. My concerns are more about the drywall being able to handle the stress of hanging and rehanging of the guitar with loosening over time.

This guitar hanger could be placed and drilled into a stud if your concerns are for damaging your Les Paul but I would feel just as safe if the guitar hanger had hollow wall anchors placed beneath the hanging unit.
I have used plastic wall anchors to hold items in the 35 to 50 pound range with great results. This of course was with items that were hung once and did not get hung and rehung such as your guitar.
All in all your safe , in my opinion, either way you choose but keep in mind with the hollow wall anchors you allow yourself more choice range for hanging.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment