Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What do you need to do to be able to work in a custom guitar workshop?

guitar repair kit
 on Guitar Building Kits | Advantages of Guitar Building Kits
guitar repair kit image



blahootlan


I've tried doing some research but I havent hd any luck. I have seen some videos of people working in a guitar workshop building guitars, and it looks like something I want to do, but I do not know how to go about pursuing it. Obviously wood working classes and math would be part of it, but are there schools you can go to specifically for it? Or any set courses/classes required? I love playing guitars, and I have always wanted to make one, so I would love to get in the buisness of doing that for a living. Can anybody help me? Thanks


Answer
Most guitar builders are overwhelmed with people seeking apprenticeships, and training an apprentice is a substantial drain on a luthier's time. Google "guitar building schools" and similar keywords - there are lists at various places on the web of places where you can pay for training courses.

Many people pick up guitar building on their own. Training as a woodworker or machinist would definitely help, as would knowing how to paint cars. If you want to try your hand at building a guitar, a good quality kit is generally considered the best way to start.

Guitar building is not a particularly lucrative occupation and many builders eke out a living by doing repair work. To a large extent you can pick that up on your own using guitars from yard sales, etc. and doing a lot of reading. You can find lots of instructional materials at www.stewmac.com.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment