Sunday, August 25, 2013

Why did i get an electric shock from my guitar?

guitar rest
 on Check out www.guitarworld.com for the rest of this exclusive Guitar ...
guitar rest image



ladiesbull


I was just playing my guitar and i rest my arm over the strings and i got an electric shock. It didn't happen to my fingers and every time i pt my arm over i got shocked. I restrung my guitar a few days ago if that helps.


Answer
silencetheevil8 is onto this. Let's go a little deeper with that. I'll make some assumptions- that you are in the US and the AC cord on your amplifier has 2 prongs vs. a 3 prong grounded cord. I play guitar in bands quite often, moving my (our) equipment around to different venues and plugging into different wiring systems. I have never been shocked with a properly grounded amplifier (I have been shocked several times with ungrounded amps). Does the amp have a "polarity" switch? That's a good sign that it's NOT a properly grounded amp. Have a reputable electronics shop replaced the old 2 prong cord (eliminating the polarity switch, if any) with a 3 prong grounded AC cord. I did this with MY 1970 Marshall Super Lead (good taste, silencetheevil8!) and that took care of it. If you already have a 3 prong grounded cord on the amp- the wall outlet in your house may not be properly wired and not grounded- call an electrician. Are you getting just a 'tingle' when you touch the strings? It may become worse if you touch the guitar AND another piece of electronic equipment (like your lips to a metal microphone, for instance) so "get ur done".



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment