Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I'm buying a guitar for the first time tomorrow. What should I look for?

guitar chord poster
 on Guitar Chords Posters at AllPosters.com
guitar chord poster image



butterflie


I am about 5'4. I'm a girl. And I am looking for my first guitar. But I want it to be a quality, not so expensive guitar. Im not sure if the store has new or old or used guitars but is there anything I should check for like wood or brands or length or anything? thank you!


Answer
Along with the preceding suggestions I add these:

1. Check the height of the strings from the fretboard where you see the double-dots in the 12th fret. If they are much higher than they are from the rest of the fretboard ask a guitar technician to adjust the action. Check for warpness of the neck. A slight bow is acceptable unless it emits buzziness while plucking the strings.

2. Check for wobbly or cracked machine head keys--what is used to tune up the strings.

3. Check for volume and resonance at playing a simple chord. Is there sustain? Does the sound linger?

4. I prefer rosewood backs and sides for my guitars, but my very first one was a Gibson parlor-size guitar--one that would be perfect for you. While it is made of all mahogany sides and back--with a spruce top--you could benefit from a smaller made guitar other than buy what is called a dreadnought size--the largest made. Gibson guitars are higher-priced, but you can find great deals by logging on to www.musiciansfriend.com.

5. A few cracks on the body top are acceptable provided they're not huge. Any cracks on the sides and back are less than desirable.

6. The poster that said old guitars play well is correct unless they are in bad form with too many cracks and warped necks. A spruce top that once was blonde in color, but now a honey-brown is a keeper.

7. Above all, test any potential guitar you might buy. If it feels comfortable then consider buying it. If you have any reservations about it, move on to another one.

Good luck in your acquisition of a best friend for life.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment