Sunday, April 28, 2013

What are some helpful books (or textbooks) that will teach me about music theory and composition?

guitar theory
 on The History of Rock Guitar
guitar theory image



Julia Kiry


I'm 13 years old and I have been playing guitar for 3 years. But I never learned much theory except for the basics. I'm also interested in writing my own music. My teacher has been teaching me more advanced theory lately but i learn better from reading. What are some in depth books that tell you everything about music theory (or guitar theory) and/or composition? I really hope to become a musician when i'm older.


Answer
There are several ways to answer your question. I could send you to the nearest music store for an in depth music theory book, but at your age, that might be difficult. You could at least get assistance in transportation there. Any major music store as in sheet music will have the texts you are looking for. I have given books like that to family members who play guitar and were interested in knowing more.

In addition, if you are serious about becoming a musician, I'd advise taking up the piano for a more well rounded understanding of music. It will give you the understanding of fuller harmony as you work through the full part harmony in your fingerings. If you want to be serious about music, you'll need to learn piano at some point anyway. It will assist you in more than one way as you come to understand the relationship between the keys.

Next, I'd take your teacher seriously. Alot of what you are asking will come through application. As you begin to use the skills of composition and actual simple writing, you will see your understanding grow. Let your teacher guide you through this, and if you are not satisfied, seek out a piano teacher with those same goals understood from the beginning. You will need to be highly acquainted with the circle of fifths.

That should give you enough to chew on. It's great to know what you want to do so early on. I knew from the time I was a teenager that I wanted to teach piano, and it's the greatest joy in my life. There is no thrill like making a living in that which gives you so much joy. You'll need discipline, but you can do it with determination.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment