Friday, July 26, 2013

How can I make my guitar strings more slippery?

guitar oil
 on courtweek.com - Archives: 2011November 1, 2011The Law of Post ...
guitar oil image



Royer


It's really hard to slide on my guitar. I just got new metal strings on it. Each time i try sliding down or up it makes a squeaky sound and fingers get stuck to it.


Answer
Hi Royer, some things to keep in mind.

Playing your guitar will deposit oil from your fingers which will slightly lessen the squeaking and make the strings a little more slippery. However finger oil also will dull the tone of the strings and cuts down how long they'll last. I wouldn't add oil or anything. I'd just play them. I too prefer somewhat warn in strings. I even like the slightly muted tone.

If you're a new player your fingers probably don't have calluses on them yet and so your naturally moist skin will make it even harder to slide. Once you develop the calluses then those harder patches of skin will make sliding easier.

Something else you can try is buying lighter gauge strings so that there's less resistance from the string on your fingers when you're moving around the fretboard.

Outside of that I think this is one of those quirks of being a guitar player you'll learn to accept :)

Happy Strummin'
Michael
http://www.EasyLearn2PlayGuitar.com



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment