Tuesday, July 30, 2013

How can I remove a bridge pin on an acoustic guitar?

guitar bridge pins
 on EBONY - Set of seven bridge pins with an end pin, all plian ebony.
guitar bridge pins image



Allison T


I just tried to change my acoustic guitar strings for the first time, and the bridge pins are really stuck in there. I tried to remove the low E string with needle nose pliers and wiggle it out, but the top of the pin broke and the rest of it is stuck in there. Any suggestions of what I can do to get it out?
I reattached the string so it's still playable, but I can't change it and I'm afraid to change the rest now!



Answer
Okay, loosen your low E string and take it off of the head of the guitar. At the bridge, push the E string down into the guitar an inch or so. This might loosen the pin. Reach your hand into the hole (you probably need to loosen the other strings) and see if you can push out the pin with your fingers. If you can't, try pushing it with something hard like a house key or a coin. Try pushing the other pins out using this method. Again, remember to push the string further into the guitar at the bridge to loosen the pin. You might have to buy a new pin or you can try super-gluing it together and see if you can reuse it.

You might want to check out this tool: http://www.guitarlessonworld.com/lessons/lesson2.htm
It's called a guitar string winder and it comes with a tool to take out the pins. I recommend this over the other method. You can find it at any music store. Good luck!



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment