Friday, November 1, 2013

Guitar volume pot making a scratching sound when turned?

guitar volume pot
 on Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat, pictured with 22 fret Kramer neck.
guitar volume pot image



Jordan


Ok, so my Bc. Rich asm1 volume pot has a scratching sound when I turn it, when I turn it I hear no feed back from my pickups. When I first went to check it out I noticed that two of the parts that hold the coils inside of the pot were separated so I superglued them together...now I have the pot turning completely around with the same sound and only a little bit of feedback from the pickups and a buzzing sound...please help ;-;


Answer
Clearly, you need a new pot. Normally when a pot starts sounding scratchy, you can revive it by spraying contact cleaner inside and rotating the knob several times to clean it up. I'm unclear from your description which "parts" you applied super glue to, but wouldn't you agree that it didn't work?

Your guitar has humbucker pickups, so you probably need a 500k ohm pot....but double check to see what is printed on yours. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-500k-custom-taper-split-shaft-pot You'll also need a soldering iron kit which you can pick up at Radio Shack for $10. Before removing the old pot, make a note (or take a photo) of which contacts each wire goes to.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment