Friday, November 1, 2013

Is it hard to teach yourself how to play the guitar?

guitar books for beginners
 on Come All Ye Faithful for the clarinet - free, printable PDF sheet ...
guitar books for beginners image



gvreptiles


Is it hard to teach yourself how to play the guitar?

What are some good guitars and guitar brands?

What are some good guitar music books for beginners?



Answer
I taught myself (pretty much; I did learn some from a friend, and I also took a beginner's course at the local community college, although the class was really below my level at the time, so it didn't do alot of good other than to force me to practice). It's pretty hard, but the more you learn, the easier it is to learn how to do more and more stuff. Anyway, the book that helped me the most as a total beginner was Guitar For Dummies. I'm not kidding. It really helped alot. I'd say lessons aren't really a necessity, although I'm sure you will learn faster if you get them.

As for "good" guitars, it depends what you're looking for. Acoustic? Electric? How much do you want to spend? In general, good brands for acoustics would be Martin and Taylor, although they're generally quite expensive. Good electrics would be Fender and Gibson. But there are lots of cheaper guitars that are great too. I'd recommend Blueridge for a cheap, yet good, acoustic, if you can find a shop that deals them. I have a BR 63 and it's nice. It was about $450. You could also try a Martin X series (Google them; they're cheaper than a normal Martin, but sound great. I have one).

For a beginner electric, try a MIM (made in Mexico) Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster. A Squier (made by Fender) is also a good choice, and cheaper, although I'd recommend getting one of their "standard" series rather than an Affinity series.

The best advice is to take someone to the shop with you who already plays.

ETA: Oh yeah, and whatever you buy...GET THE SHOP TO DO A SETUP, especially if you're buying a cheapo guitar! Many places will do it for free if you buy the guitar there. Otherwise, it might cost $25-$40. But it's worth it, because the guitar will be easier to play.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment