Monday, November 18, 2013

What is the correct thumb position while playing lead electric guitar?

guitar neck rest
 on You're reviewing: Hercules GS412B Single Guitar Stand With Neck Rest
guitar neck rest image



Kathy


I'm just starting out. When playing licks and solos should I keep my thumb pressed against the back of the neck for support or resting around the top of the neck?

What is the correct thumb position?



Answer
When first starting teachers will tell you to plant the thumb in the back of the neck, but the main thing is to be sure you don't contact the neck with your palm, because the angle of your fingertips would not be correct. The more vertical the down pressure of your fingertips the better.

If you wrap the thumb your contact will be in the web of the hand between thumb and forefinger. I sometimes even fret notes on the low E string with my thumb when playing some chords.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment