Thursday, November 14, 2013

What kind of wood is used for the top of the body on a Gretsch guitar?

guitar veneer
 on ... wooden guitar stands from exotic and domestic hardwood veneers
guitar veneer image



Tman


I am making a custom Gretsch guitar what kind of wood is used on the top of the body for a Gretsch? I would like a source for your answer please. Prefferably a site I can research.
It is hollow body. The reason I am making it is my uncle passed away and he worked for Gretsch. I am finishing his project.



Answer
Gretsch is a brand of guitar, so unless you are Gretsch, you can't make a Gretsch guitar. On top of that, making a copy of a Gretsch, or Gibson, or any model for that matter without permission is illegal.

I can tell you what the guitar is made of, but you need to provide which model you are talking about, whether it is solid body or hollow body, and what year it was made. All this info is needed for a correct answer.

EDIT:
Almost every acoustic electric Gretsch ever made was laminated... you take several sheets of veneer, spread glue between them, place them over a mold, and clamp it down with a matching mold top or a vacuum press. This ain't easy, even if you have the tools.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment