Saturday, November 2, 2013

How to memorize notes on guitar frets?

guitar neck rest
 on Unfretted - Fretless Guitar Resource.
guitar neck rest image



sahand


you know, I play electric guitar, I can play nearly any song, but the thing that makes me ashamed, is that, If you ask me what is 8th fret of G string's note? I cannot say the note name immediately, I should imagine the guitar neck, and start from 5th fret then find the note...
So should I memorize 60 (12*5) note places??? Or is there any other way???



Answer
try this for starters:
http://edge-guitar.blogspot.com/2011/01/learning-fretboard.html

also a good resource for guitarists:
http://all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_lessons.php

It really comes from basic repetition and playing for a long time.
how about just trying to learn the notes of all the marked frets first? One fret at a time.
you should know already what the notes of the scale are. E F F# G G# A Bb B C C# D D# E
that's it. Once you know the marked positions, then you should be able to figure out the rest.

You don't need to be able to recite the notes like the question you asked, but you should be able to figure it out pretty quick. Even I can't tell you off the cuff each note on each string at all positions off the top of my head.
So you use the dotted frets as a base position and quickly figure it out. It is actually more of a knowledge ingrained after years of playing, someone tells you a note and you just know where to play it.
For instance you were kind of right..What is the note of the G string 8th fret?
you know that the 7th fret(marked) is D. so the next fret up is Eb or D#

give that a shot....



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment