Thursday, May 30, 2013

How to fix nasty electric guitar buzzing?

guitar overdrive pedal
 on ... Tone Bug Tonebug Distortion Guitar Effect Pedal 811059011028 | eBay
guitar overdrive pedal image



A A


When I plug my electric guitar up to my amp I get a horrible buzzing sound. It happens right after I plug the thing in, and it's constant.

I'm not actually able to get any sound from the guitar at all. It's not background noise like you'd get from an overdrive pedal.

There's definitely something wrong with the guitar itself, it's not the cables/amp.

I'd like to fix it myself rather than taking it to a shop. Any ideas?



Answer
Troubleshooting a problem like that always starts at the amp. Make sure the amp jack is clean and working. Then make sure the cable is as well. Cables are normally the #1 culprit. If both of those are working properly, then you need to troubleshoot the guitar. Does it make the noise on every pickup selection? With the volume up or down? It could be a loose wire, ground, bad pot, bad connection, bad jack, dead battery, etc.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment