Friday, May 24, 2013

How to test wood surface to accept stain?

guitar veneer
 on ... Cutaway Electric Dreadnought Mahogany Guitar With Fishman Pr Natural
guitar veneer image



big davy p


I'm trying to apply a tiger stripe finish to a guitar with a maple veneer top. The guitar had a thick coat of sanding sealer applied from the factory that I've been battling to sand off. I'm not sure if I've removed all of the sealer because it is transparent. Is there a way to test the veneer to see if I've thoroughly sanded and it will accept the stain evenly (with water or mineral spirits or something non-permanant)?


Answer
Sealer is designed to fill the pores in the wood and absorb stain for an even finish. Sanding it off is virtually impossible since the sealer is below the surface.

You might want to try a gel rather than a penetrating stain.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment