Thursday, May 23, 2013

What is the easiest way to tune a guitar?

guitar tuner clip on
 on JOYO 12B Clip on Digital Guitar Tuner for Acoustic Violin Bass Ukulele ...
guitar tuner clip on image



Patrick


I tried to tune the guitar with an online tuner but that almost never seems to be accurate. Can someone please tell me the proper way to tune a guitar using a tuning fork?


Answer
Your question is "what is the easiest way to tune a guitar?" The answer is most definitely NOT to use a tuning fork. Spend $15 or $20 to get a good quality chromatic tuner and you'll have no trouble tuning your guitar. I've always had great luck with the Korg tuners. I recently gave mine to my daughter for her violin though, so I bought a Snark clip-on tuner. It works great for my acoustic guitar (just clip it on the headstock, turn it on, pluck a string and it senses the vibrations through the wood and tells you what pitch the string is tuned to. You can tune it up quite easily.

If your question really is "How do I tune my guitar using a tuning fork?", then it's probably tuned to A, so you'd strike it against something then tune your A string to the tone produced by the fork. Once you get the A in tune you tune the other strings relative to that using either the 5th fret or harmonics. If you don't already know what I'm talking about, then you need lessons and a chromatic tuner. Google "tuning guitar with tuning fork" and I'm sure you'll find all the help you need (with pictures and everything).



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment