Thursday, May 30, 2013

Is there an easy way to get rid of fret buzz?

guitar repair
 on Guitar Repair & Building Program, Guitar Building School - SE
guitar repair image



AtreyuXfor


My electric guitar has a lot of fret buzz on the 6th 5th and I think 4th string. I've only been playing for a few years, so I don't know much about guitar repair. I have my guitar lessons in a few days, so should I just wait until then, or is there an easy way that I can solve the problem myself?


Answer
In my experience the two most common causes for this are:
* Your action is too low (ie, the strings are too close to the fretboard).
* or the neck has some bad curvature and needs adjustment (via the truss rod).

If you think your action might be too low, look online for instructions for adjusting it for your particular guitar type (it varies depending on type of guitar). For example, on a Les Paul you just need to raise the bridge with the two screws on either side of it. Then, obviously, you need to get it tuned back up, and re-adjust the intonation.

If this doesn't help, or you're pretty sure this isn't the problem, wait until you go to your lesson. Don't try to adjust the truss rod or do any other drastic changes.
Ask your instructor to take a look at it. Be sure to ask and watch what they do, so you can know for future reference.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment