Thursday, October 31, 2013

How to stop guitar strings from rusting?

guitar xl
 on of Drums & Guitar ... Drum Lessons Guitar Lessons ... Drum & Guitar ...
guitar xl image



Oscar S


Every time I play guitar, after a couple of minutes my hands start to sweat for no apparent reason, and rusts the strings very badly. I usually wipe my hands on my shirt or something, but the sweat comes back in a matter of seconds!
Is there any way to protect my strings from rust or moisture?



Answer
Ah...another profuse sweater! The guys in my band kid me about it all the time. The running joke is if I lean up against a bank safe I could rust my way through it in about an hour.

That all said, if you're strings are rusting then you're not cleaning them well enough or not changing them often enough.

Wash your hands (soap and water...not just wipe 'em on your shirt) before you start playing. And be sure to completely wipe the strings down with a clean dry cloth after you finish playing. The oxidation process (rusting) takes time.

You might try different brands of strings. For some reason, I can kill a set of Ernie Ball strings in one or two sets (less than 2 hours playing time). However, D'Addario XL's hold up very well for me.

Finally, if you live near the ocean the salt air is going to corode metal. Period. The only answer to that is move...or change your strings.

Good luck.

Greetings from Austin, TX

Ken



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment