Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What are the safety issues involved in guitar pedal chains?

guitar tuner pedal
 on Mini-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-Guitar-Tuner-Effect-Pedal-PT-21-Mini-Pedal ...
guitar tuner pedal image



Verly


I have been buying a lot of pedals, and want to get crazier and crazier with my sound, but i've heard there can be problems with ground faults, and or shock/stray voltage. I have eight or nine pedals in a row, and am going to run to a second amp in stereo, but it occurred to me it would be cool to put a second line of pedals after the stereo pedal split, to act as a a/b kind of setup, where each amp gets a different pedal chain after going through the stereo pedal. do i need to worry about electrical issues? can i use another stereo pedal and run to a third amp? are there any resources online that i can use, i haven't found any yet. are there any other issues i need to be aware of? thanks!!


Answer
Hi, Verly. Since most pedals are low voltage, electrical safety shouldn't be an issue. (On stage, stray voltage through the PA system, on the other hand, could get exciting when playing along and touching nose or lips to a mike. Always have a windscreen on it.)

While I'm happy you're experimenting with your sound, I'm concerned you're going over the top, spending money for stuff that may not interact well or reliably. At least take a look at a multi-effects DSP box, which by itself may offer a hundred combinations to wander around in.

Then there's the set-up spaghetti of wires, cables, patch cords, etc., both extra time if mobile (compared to a band room or studio), and multiple fail-points. Short of having a good roadie, I opted for some type of pedal board that could just be dropped & jacked in, done. In typical working bands, my bros would not have been pleased for me to be fiddling around with my rig while they did all the load-in, PA, lights, etc., ditto fiddling around trying to find a glitch in the middle of a set, knock down a big buzz or surges of white noise, etc. And in those occasional multi-band gigs or shows, speed & simplicity in set-up is essential.

I did and do like the idea of a stereo rig, and sometimes including a effect or two on that second amp. While I was still gigging, my favorite rig was a wah and a compressor/sustainer first, then an A/B switch with the B side to just a tuner and the A side to a stereo chorus. The stereo fed both my Fender Pro and a trusty Peavey 130 Special, each with two 12" drivers, quickly adjustable for gain, balance, tone. In some venues, just half of the rig was fine. The whole bit could nicely cover any sound I needed.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment