Tuesday, October 29, 2013

How loud is a semi acoustic guitar without an amp?

guitar ornament
 on Personalized Guitar - Musical Note Ornament
guitar ornament image



slugger


Is it loud enough to just practice with without an amp or is it like a normal electric guitar where you have to plug it in to get any noise.


Answer
You can practice on it fine, as long as your practice space isn't real noisy. It will have some acoustic properties, but this is mostly to give a warm rich tone to it while plugged in. I'd say it's maybe twice as loud as a solid body not plugged in, so still not very loud.

I practice on my solid body electrics all the time with no amp. As long as it's quiet in the house, it works fine to keep your fingers in shape. And I can practice without bothering my roommates, even at 3:00am.

I also have to tell you, semi hollow bodies are not all equal. I would image a custom shop Gibson, or a nice hand built would resonate better than a factory made from overseas.

To Norm, I don't have any problem hearing hammer on's and pull off's on a solid body when I'm not plugged in. It sounds just the same as when I plug in, as far has how the notes come out relative to each other. Maybe it's my technique, but my HO's and PO's are as loud as I want them to be, as loud as the note that's been picked usually. Are you coming straight down on the bony tip of your finger for the HO? Moving from the base of the arched finger? For PO's are you giving the string a little downward thwack across it with your finger as it pulls off? Makes the left hand finger work as a pick. Both those things will make these ornaments as loud or soft as you want...



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment