Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Can I use my electric guitar strings for my acoustic guitar?

guitar strings acoustic
 on Best Acoustic Guitar Strings Blues Guitars on web
guitar strings acoustic image



Shelby


Can I use my electric guitar strings for my acoustic guitar?


Answer
If it's a steel string acoustic, then yes, you can. Although there are some important differences. Electric guitar strings are typically thinner. A .010 gauge high E string is considered VERY light on an acoustic, but it's medium for electric. If your strings aren't heavy enough, they're going to be floppy and sound wimpy.

Acoustic strings are also wrapped in bronze; electric strings are wrapped in nickel. This makes for some significant tonal differences. The bronze wrapped strings really compliment the sound of the acoustic guitar. Nickel wrapped strings sound weak and tinny on an acoustic. While I've never tried it, I imagine bronze wrapped strings would sound too bassy and muddy on an electric guitar.



Powered By Y! Answer Blogger Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment